Wednesday, November 11, 2009

You're Not Gonna Believe This!

So we started out day at school today with a meeting of all 3-6 graders. We had a Veteran's day presentation where we said the pledge, watched a video and then talked about simple things like what veterans are, why they are important, and why we should thank them. About two minutes before we started the pledge I had a little girl in my fifth grade class come up to me and say "Mrs. Miller, I am not supposed to pledge." I honestly think my jaw hit the floor! I was totally speechless and mumbled something about well do whatever you need to.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! Where in the world does a fifth grader come up with the notion that she does not need to pledge allegiance to the flag of the nation that she lives in and honor the commitment to our freedom and those who keep us free. I know that there is some sort of parent thing behind that but I was seriously appalled and I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of our veterans, thank you to everyone who serves our country in any way, who donates their time, keep us safe, and those who have given their life so that we can have the privileges and freedoms that we have with that said, I proudly pledge allegiance to the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment