Thursday, May 3, 2012

Warning: Baldie Below

Perspective:
I would have to say that one of the things cancer has given me is perspective.  I was sitting in a group of new moms yesterday listening to the conversation.  One mom asked when her hair was going to stop falling out and the others joined right in going on and on about how annoying it was and how you could *gasp* see right through her hair these days.  I just listened for a long time before simply making one comment.  "At least you have hair. . . " I did not say it to be mean or to make anyone feel bad, I simply was telling the truth.  I have come to grips with where I am and right now in this season of my life, I don't have hair.  All I wanted to do was remind these moms that it is all about perspective.  There are bigger things in life than your hair. . . there are people in worse situations. . . just take a minute and be thankful for where you are.  I know that things are not peachy keen right now in my life but you know what, I am BEYOND BLESSED!  Yes I have cancer but I have no complaints.  My needs are met and my God is big.  He provides over and over and over again and I just have to continue to trust him. 

My perspective has recently changed on something else.  Being bald.  I have had two different survivors tell me that I need to take pictures of myself bald because it is not something I will be doing again and I need to document where I am.  I have pretty much refused pictures of my bald head from the beginning.  Honestly, I was embarrassed.  I would not go anywhere without my wig because I did not want those funny looks from people.  I felt like I had somehow, in some way done something wrong and I was embarrassed that I had cancer.  Silly, yes. Real, absolutely!  I don't know where it came from or how it happened but I somehow realized how silly it was to be embarrassed.  Maybe it was the realization that cancer is my platform right now for sharing Jesus with others, maybe it was the fact that wigs are just downright uncomfortable, whatever it was changed my perspective.  I can now go anywhere in just a hat and often walk around home as a baldie.  I am about to do something I have never done and share a picture with the whole world.  It is a little intimidating, I don't want to make anyone sad or upset (another reason it took me so long to wear a hat, I wanted to protect others).  You can choose whether or not to look at it and I will never know. But as I continue to learn about perspective, I am learning to embrace new ideas. . . like the fact that I have a really nice shaped head :-) with some teeny, tiny stubble. . . and a beautiful, amazing sister sitting next to me rubbing my head for luck each step of this journey.

9 comments:

  1. Leanne you are beautiful! You're beautiful inside and out. You are amazing and strong. I saw the picture and just smiled because i didn't see a bald head, I still saw you. Thank you for sharing your honesty.

    I have been struggling with how I look recently. I need to remind myself that God made me this way and he loves me no matter what. I'm thankful I have a husband that does too!

    Again you are beautiful Leanne! You are always in my prayers. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look absolutely beautiful! I look up to you in so many ways, and say a prayer for you and your family every day! thanks for being an amazing woman in my life, even though there are many miles between us!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. .... you are amazing! beautiful! cute! delightful! elegant! ... and my niece! I am so proud of you! Love you lots! AK & UJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are beautiful!! Love your blog so much as I can relate on so many levels. You rock that bald head :) I agree also with taking pictures along the way that you can look back on once this cancer stuff is long behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mitchell gave Eric a magnent for father's day one year that said, "I have cancer. My dad's just bald!" One of Mitchell's accomodations early on for school was that he could wear a hat. In his first grade picture he is wearing a hat. After about 2 months, at age 6 he said, "I don't need to wear a hat. People either like me or they don't." Continued blessings. Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friends are right you know....you ARE beautiful! Even before this fight, I always thought you were stunningly gorgeous with your huge smile and casual, light-hearted view of life. And it still shines thru all over your face and life. And this blog post is such a blessing, just because I personally need to get a new perspective on how I see myself....imperfections and all. You amaze me with your spirit and love of all things Godly. You inspire me with your strength...and I could go on and on, but it would take up too much of your time and space :) Love you and praying for you daily! And if anyone can kick this cancer booty, you and our HUGE God can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BALD, BEAUTIFUL and BRAVE! And a inspiration to many. So glad that God gave you to us and is allowing us to walk this journey with you. Love, Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I was as beautiful as you. I love you and look up to you more than you will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so blessed to have you as our daughter-in-law! You are beautiful and we love you! Don and Deb

    ReplyDelete